Home to the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram, this peaceful setting is perfect to learn how to meditate and improve your yoga postures. As the name suggests, Neyyar Dam is situated alongside a picturesque lake in Kerala, the southern state of India.
See the elephants being bathed in the Neyyar Dam Animal Sanctuary. Hear the cries of the lions from the beautiful gardens of the ashram.
In this sleepy beach town, you will be sure to get good rest and scrumptious food! Check out the German Bakery and the Vegetarian Cafe.
With sandy beaches and the stunning backdrop of the lighthouse, this is a beautiful place to visit.
For a more sociable experience, stay on the cliff of Varkala, with stunning beaches. Here you will sample a vast array of culinary dishes, make sure you try Hello to the Queen dessert, it is the best!
With plenty of book stores, cosy coffee shops, and lots of different styles of yoga classes, there is plenty to do here. Not forgetting surfing! Look out for local kirtans at Third Eye School of Yoga and live music at Darjeeling Cafe, which is a lot of fun for singers and non-singers alike!
- Feel a deep inner sense of peace after daily yoga classes
- Learn the 12 basic asanas of Sivananda yoga
- Quieten your mind sitting for 20-30 minutes of silent meditation twice a day
- Discipline yourself with early morning starts
- Eat nutritious, tasty food
- Sip on a mug of chai tea at the local tea shop with freshly baked banana cake
- Feel like you are in Pitch Perfect during morning and evening kirtans!
- Try a Sam Special at the Health Hut (vegan milkshake with peanut butter and chocolate!)
- Learn all about the philosophy of yoga and ways to find inner peace and happiness at the daily yoga lectures
- Discover a hidden talent taking part in the Talent Show at the ashram
- Treat yourself to an ayurvedic massage
- Discover the liberation of eating with your hands, sitting on the floor
- Relax on the beach with a good book from one of the many book stores (there are many books in all languages!)
- See the beautiful pink sunset skies on the beach with friends
Best time to visit:
Jan/Feb/Mar - warm, sunny days
Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec - warm with some heavy downpours
Based on solo travel for 2 weeks. Includes flights, private transfers, 9 nights in the Sivananda ashram and 5 nights bed and breakfast on Varkala Beach.
Out of your budget? Not to worry! Send me a message and I can plan a trip to South India in your price range tailored to your specific wants and needs.